Friday, March 27, 2015

Soap Squirrels I & II

Soap Squirrels I & II

Carving miniatures from large soap blocks required me to think 3-Dementionally and work much slower than my normal pace. Smaller areas, such as the ears and feet, were the most fragile to carve. I used two different brands of soap; one that proved to be a more creamy texture and one that was more flaky. Treating the soap with caution as it continued to get smaller was a challenge in itself. After the project was done I recycled my shavings into a ball of soap so large that I have been using it for weeks. 

Final (1) Soap squirrel I
Wooden base

9 Changes to a squirrel

The first "trial" squirrel was later used to make drastic changes that could reflect a transformation. The requirements focused on at least 4 changes that were additive and 4 changes that were subtractive. 

1. (+) Gold leaf
2. (+) Red Paint
3. (+) Wire wrap
4. (+) Tail feathers
5. (+) Septum piercing
6. (-) Holes in tail
7. (-) Shaved tail and back legs
8. (-) Blown dry
9. (-) Microwaved

Final (1) Soap squirrel II
Glass vase

Final (2) Soap squirrel II

Changes (1) Gold Leaf (+)

Changes (2) Red Paint (+)

Changes (3)  Holes in tail (-)
(4) Shaved back legs (-)

Changes (5) Wire Wrap (+)
(6) Septum Piercing (+)
(7) Tail Feathers (+)

Changes (8) Blown dry (-)
(9) Mircrowaved (-)

Comparison: Model & Soap

In process (1) Multitasking
(Surprisingly, nothing started to melt)

In process (2) Creamy soap

No comments:

Post a Comment